PRESS RELEASE Updated: 5/15/14
Here are some current items of interest, possible spring boards for feature stories:
- ARTFIELDS 2014. Robert won the portrait competition from a field of 24 top artists in the region in Lake City, SC on May 2. His painting “Christelle” was also a standout in the ARTFIELDS competition.
- Jailbreak 2014 – featured artist
- Portrait Painting demo at Charleston Artists Guild Jan 14, 2014.
- Recent Blogging available for reprinting or as inspiration for articles.
- Website relaunch 2013
- Charleston Artbeat coming to the Holy City
- Re-releasing The Fishfly and Point of Art – Second Edition in paperback and on Kindle.
- Releasing both seasons of Detroit ART BEAT, which ran for two glorious seasons on Detroit PBS from 2003-2005.
- Now offering Brush with Wine Painting Parties at the Maniscalco Studio.
- Starring in “Catania,” a feature film competing in Festivals Spring of 2014.
- Rob’s late father, Joesph Maniscalco and he each have five portraits hanging in the halls of justice in Lansing, Michigan in the Michigan Supreme Court. Robert’s latest will be presented in 2014 (TBA) of the former Chief Justice, Marilyn Kelly.
- Became an advocate for survivors of CSA and its prevention in November 2010 as a male survivor of child sexual abuse on Oprah. One of the Oprah 200. My story is all too common and I am committed to spreading the word about healing and prevention as a facilitator with D2L.org.
- Recently presented a series of six portraits for the MUSC Pathology Department that is chronicling the careers of these cutting edge scientists and physicians. He is working on number seven at this moment.
- Appeared on NBC’s The Today Show in November 2008. where I presented a very special family portrait for a couple who had lost their three children to a drunk driver.
- In November 2007 I was the subject for a “High Profile” in the Post and Courier.
- Nationally recognized portrait artist, with work in over 850 private/public collections throughout North America.
- Relocated to Charleston in 2005. Now living/working in a beautiful studio on the Ashley River.
- Presented portrait of Andrea and Charles Volpe at the new Ashley River Hospital at MUSC in March 2009.
- Portrait of the late Jerry Zucker, which now hangs in the Hudsons Bay Company in Toronto, CA.
- Portrait of the founder of Little Caesars Pizza and owner of the Tigers and the Red Wings, Mike Ilitch in 2008.
- I’ve been a professional artist for 32 years and have learned how to juggle the artist and the businessman.
- Proud to be a Lowcountry artist, specializing in paintings featuring Gulluh people and culture, in the context of the natural environment.
- My debut novel, “The Fishfly,” was published in 2005. It’s about a portrait artist turned hit man and deals thoughtfully with my being a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.
- Soon to be published “Point of Art: Second Edition“ an inspirational book about the creative process. A modern version of “Art Spirit” by Robert Henri.
- I teach painting workshops nationwide called The Power of Positive Painting©.
- Currently teaching classes in my studio.
- Created one of the first instructional portrait painting videos back in 1995, called “The Power of Positive Painting.©”
- Presenting periodic Power of Positive Painting Workshops through the Charleston Artists Guild and the Gibbes Museum.
- In 2007 Lilliedale Publications released my new instructional DVD “The Portrait, a value-based painting system.”
- Have raised over $250,000 by donating portrait certificates to worthwhile charities.
- Former host of “Art Beat” on PBS in Detroit, a lively half-hour program, interviewing visual artists while they demonstrated their process. Was the highest rated local show on Detroit Public TV.
- Former owner of an eponymous art gallery in Grosse Pointe, Michigan (near Detroit).
- Was a professional actor/singer in New York City for 8 years, completing acting training at Circle in the Square Theatre school in 1991.
- Read a 2012 interview with Cate Maniscalco.
- Research past media highlights.
If you like the information on this site please sign up for our bi-monthly newsletter to get the inside scoop on news, the latest blogs, opportunities for artistic growth and a meaningful creative exchange of ideas! There’s never a dull moment at the Maniscalco Gallery.